These are unique times we are experiencing, and when feeling anxious or stressed, I head to the kitchen. Nothing helps me to relax more than to spend a few hours in the kitchen cooking. I love spending time trying out new recipes or making old family favorites for my family. If you were to ask me what would be my favorite flavor combination in a dessert, I’d have to say apples and cinnamon. There is something so comforting about this pair as it bakes, with the aroma of warm spices wafting through my kitchen. I do not eat donuts as a rule, but on the rare times that I do, I always choose an apple fritter donut so I knew that I’d love this bread.
If you were to look online at what folks were baking during the coronavirus Pandemic, you’d see a LOT of banana bread, sourdough everything, and this Apple Fritter Bread. I do use a combination of apples and cinnamon when baking sweets often, as it is just such a perfect pairing. This quick bread recipe is studded with apples flavored with ground cinnamon, and the finished loaf is very moist and satisfying. My husband and I are not big on icing or glazes, and to be frank, this loaf doesn’t need it. If you wanted to get a little fancy, however, you could mix together some powdered sugar and milk and drizzle a glaze on top. Choose good flavored baking apples for this recipe such as Jonagold, Honey Crisp, Braeburn, or Pink Lady.
Deborah Mele 2020
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- 3 Medium Apples, Peeled, Cored, And Cut Into Small Dice (See Notes Above)
- 2/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup (1 Stick) Unsalted Butter At Room Temperature
- 2 Large Eggs At Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Whole or 2% Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose Unbleached Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with baking spray.
- In one bowl toss together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and apples.
- In another medium sized bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in eggs one at a time beating between each, then beat in the vanilla and milk.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt, and mix on low speed just until mixed. (Be careful not to overtax!)
- Stir in 3/4 of the apples into the batter, then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Drop the remaining apples on top of the loaf, then bake for about 60 minutes, or until a cake tester or bamboo skewer inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
- Cool 15 minutes then remove from pan.
- Continue to cool to room temperature, slice and enjoy!
Adapted from Apple Fritter Bread by iambaker.net
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 3gSugar: 36gProtein: 4g