We eat a lot of greens in our house, and broccoli rabe or cima di rape, is a particular favorite. I have always prepared it in the traditional manner, which entails chopping the greens, peeling the stems, and then blanching the greens until tender. Once it is tender, it is essential to try and squeeze as much water from the greens as possible, then the greens are sautéed in spicy olive oil. This method does create a flavorful side dish, but there are too many steps involved. I recently picked up a Cook’s Illustrated magazine, and it contained a recipe for broiling broccoli rabe. I was a little doubtful that the greens would become tender from just broiling them for a short period, but I was pleasantly surprised.
The finished greens were tender-crisp, and the greens had retained all of their unique flavor because they were not submerged in boiling water. These greens would be delicious in a panini or used as a topping for pizza. Broiling the broccoli rabe takes a fraction of the time of the traditional method of preparation, and I didn’t even peel the stems. Depending on how hot the broiler is on your oven, you may have to adjust the shelves so that the greens do not brown too quickly. Once you’ve tried this method for preparing broccoli rabe you’ll never do it any other way!
Deborah Mele 2020
- 1 Bunch, About 1 Pound Broccoli Rabe
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1 Garlic Clove Minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- Wash the broccoli rabe and dry well.
- Trim the stems and discard about an inch or so of the bottom of the broccoli rabe stems.
- Cut the leaves and flowers from the stems, and then cut the stems into 1-inch pieces.
- Preheat the broiler, and arrange the oven rack about 4 inches from the heating element.
- Place the broccoli rabe in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and toss to coat well.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil, and spread the broccoli rabe evenly across the baking sheet.
- Broil the greens for about 2 to 3 minutes until the leaves begin to brown.
- Use tongs to toss the greens and return to the oven and broil for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the broccoli rabe is tender.
- Place the greens in a bowl, serve, and enjoy!
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g