Summer is the time for family and friend get-togethers, grilling, and outdoor dining. Unfortunately, with the arrival of Covid-19 we have had to curtail much of our usual socializing. As things slowly open up, however, we have started to have my daughter and her family over. We are looking forward to sharing meals together like we always had in the past. It is crazy the things that you take for granted until they are gone!
When I plan a meal on the grill, I like to make several side dishes that I can prepare ahead of time. Peppers are a particular favorite as they are so easy to cook on the grill. I simply drop whole peppers the grill and cook them until they are blackened on all sides.
I place the grilled peppers in a plastic bag until they cool. At that point, the skin will easily peel off, and you can dress them; however, you like. These peppers were tossed in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and some finely minced garlic. I then sprinkled on some Gorgonzola cheese crumbles and lightly toasted pine nuts.
These peppers are so delicious, I would be thrilled to enjoy some with a slice of crusty Italian bread for lunch. However, they are also a great side dish for grilled meat, seafood, or poultry.
- 4 Large Bell Peppers (Any Combination of Colors)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Garlic Clove, Finely Minced
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Parsley
- 4 Tablespoons Lightly Toasted Pine Nuts
- 1/2 Cup Gorgonzola Cheese Crumbles
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Place whole peppers on the grill, and cook until the peppers are blackened on all sides, turning as needed.
- Place the cooked peppers in a plastic bag and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pull the stem out of the pepper, then use your fingers to peel off the skin.
- Remove the seeds, and cut the peppers into strips.
- Place the peppers in a bowl, and toss with the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Arrange the peppers on a tray, the scatter the pine nuts and cheese crumbles on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 273mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g