When we plan to grill our main course, I usually add a vegetable side dish to the grill to cook our entire meal outdoors. These easy veggie skewers are one of our favorite summer vegetable side dishes. The vegetables’ flavor becomes enhanced when grilled, and the slight char and dressing of olive oil, garlic, and balsamic vinegar elevates them even more.
I like to use various colored peppers in my skewers, including chunks of red onions and zucchini and summer squash. If I have them on hand, you could also include mushrooms into the mix. These skewers are delicious hot off of the grill or at room temperature.
Deborah Mele 2020
- 3 Medium Red Onions
- 2 Medium Zucchini
- 2 Medium Summer Squash
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 2 Orange Bell Peppers
- 2 Yellow Bell Peppers
- Fresh Basil Leaves
Olive Oil Sauce:
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 4 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Peel the onions, slice in half, then cut into 2-inch chunks.
- Seed and discard membranes of the bell peppers and cut into 2-inch chunks.
- Cut the zucchini and summer squash into 1/3-inch slices.
- Place the veggies on the skewers, alternating each of the individual vegetables and basil leaves.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the olive oil sauce.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Cook the skewers 5-7 minutes per side until lightly charred and softened.
- Brush the skewers with the olive oil sauce.
- Remove the vegetables from the skewers and serve warm or at room temperature.
Can be prepared the night before.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 8gSugar: 21gProtein: 6g