Sweet Corn Salad
August is a special month for anyone who loves to cook. Tomatoes are once again in season, as is sweet corn, zucchini, eggplant, beans, and peppers. Although we do not grow sweet corn in our small vegetable garden, it is available at all of our outdoor markets or greengrocers. Our favorite way to prepare sweet corn is on the grill. Something magical happens when the kernels caramelize when grilled, which enhances the natural sweetness of the corn.
When we have family over for a barbecue and cook several dishes on the grill, I sometimes make this easy salad. The kernels are removed from the cobs and are quickly fried with diced bell peppers, onion, and a little hot pepper. I added in some diced pancetta for flavor but my husband didn’t think it was necessary. I’ll leave the option of adding pancetta up to you! I could eat this salad every day it is so tasty, and luckily it takes just minutes to make. I use a small kitchen gadget made to easily remove kernels from the cob, which reduces the time it takes significantly. Still, you could also use a sharp paring knife.
Sweet Corn Salad
A quick and easy summer side dish using fresh sweet corn when it is in season.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Diced Pancetta (Optional)
- 5 to 6 Ears Of Corn (About 4 Cups)
- 1/2 Cup Diced Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Jalepeno, Minced
- 1/3 Cup Diced Red Onion
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Juice & Zest of 1 Lime
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- If using the pancetta, cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, peppers, and onion.
- Cook, stirring often until the corn just begins to brown, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the lime juice and zest.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g