I know that I have been blogging for many years, but I hadn’t realized just how long until I recently had to update my domain name information. I was actually shocked to see that my blog has been online for over nineteen years. That is a long time to be sharing recipes online. Some recipes were removed throughout many blog redesigns, others tweaked and updated, and a few were simply scrapped.
This recipe was posted on my blog in 2002 and got lost in the shuffle of a past redesign. I recently went through old folders on my computer where I stored all of my recipes and came across this one again. This is an easy recipe that always yields delicious results and is perfect for a warm summer day.
When I first started to make these skewers, I made this version several times over the years. Still, somehow it was forgotten in my collection of a couple of thousand recipes.
I use pork tenderloin to make these skewers, although you could use any lean cut of pork. I like to use either whole white button mushrooms or baby Bella mushrooms as they remain on the skewers much better than any slices would.
Although I do not use onions on these skewers, you could use chunks of sweet white or red onions along with the cubes of pork and mushrooms if you wanted to. The combination of marinated pork, mushrooms, and fresh sage leaves grilled until golden brown, make for a wonderful summer main course.
These skewers need to be marinated for at least three hours but can be left for up to eight hours. I prefer using metal skewers instead of bamboo ones because they hold up better. If you use bamboo skewers, you will need to soak them in water for at least thirty minutes first.
- 1 3/4 to 2 Pounds Pork Tenderloin, Cut Into 1 1/2-inch Cubes
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil Plus More For Grilling
- 1 (10 Ounce) Package Button or Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 16 Fresh Sage Leaves
- Place the pork cubes in a bowl or casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper until blended.
- Pour the marinade over the pork and cover with plastic wrap.
- Store in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Thread the meat, mushrooms, and sage leaves alternately on the skewers.
- Continue until all of the ingredients are used.
- Grill until golden brown, turning halfway, about a total of 10 minutes, brushing with additional olive oil as needed to prevent sticking.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 502Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 59g