Our garden tomatoes did really well this year, and we gorged ourselves on fresh tomato everything for weeks on end. One thing both my husband and I love is tomato bruschetta. Although I usually just chop the tomatoes and toss them with minced garlic, finely chopped basil, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper, I like to try something new every once in a while. We love the vibrant flavors of Puttanesca Pasta, so I thought this combination would also work really well on grilled bread slices. Bruschetta makes a great appetizer for a quick weeknight meal or when entertaining guests. Adding capers, black olives, and some anchovy paste to the tomato mixture really creates a unique full-flavored topping for bread.
I am not a huge fan of anchovies, but find anchovy paste to have a milder flavor, which still adds that umami flavor so intrinsic in a good Puttanesca sauce. I prefer salted capers that have much more flavor than those sold in liquid in jars. You need to rinse the salted capers well first, though, or the topping will be too salty. As for the black olives, I use pitted Kalamata olives in most of my recipes for the best flavor. I find black California olives sold in cans to be flavorless. I used a combination of colored cherry tomatoes from our garden, but any ripe, flavorful tomatoes could be used. If using larger tomatoes, just chop them finely so they can be spooned easily on top of the toasted bread slices. For the bread, any rustic, crusty bread will work fine. You can either grill or broil the slices depending on your preference. I rarely serve anything using tomatoes without adding fresh basil to the mix as the combination is perfect. I would recommend not spooning the topping over the toasted slices until just before serving them as the bread will become soggy. This topping is also great tossed with hot pasta as well for a quick meal!
Deborah Mele 2020
Adding capers, olives, and anchovy paste to chopped tomatoes creates the perfect topping for grilled bread.
- 4 Cups Cherry Tomatoes, Halved (See Notes Above)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 3 Teaspoons Salted Capers, Rinsed Well & Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Pitted Kalamata Olives, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Anchovy Paste
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 8 Slices Crusty Bread
- Small Basil Leaves For Garnish
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the tomatoes, garlic, capers, and olives and gently toss to mix.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to blend the anchovy paste and olive oil until blended.
- Spoon the olive oil mixture over the tomatoes, add the basil and toss.
- Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill or broil the bread slices until lightly browned.
- Place the bread slices on a platter, and spoon the topping on the bread.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 565mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g