After months of lockdown, we have traveled to our Florida condo for a change of scenery. It is lovely to walk to the beach and listen to the sound of the surf hitting the shore. I really needed this break and am enjoying every minute of our trip. We will stay in Florida for a month and return to Michigan just in time to see the trees begin to change colors.
We should have been in Italy this fall to harvest our olives, but since that can’t happen, Florida will have to do. Although I look forward to the cooler days of fall, I am trying to embrace the last few weeks of summer first.
During the hottest days of summer, I use my outdoor grill to keep my kitchen cool. We eat many vegetables each week anyway, but there is something about grilled vegetables that are incredibly delicious. Grilling or roasting any vegetable enhances their natural flavor.
By tossing these vegetables together after grilling to make a salad, you can make a tasty side dish that pairs well with any main course, particularly grilled or roasted meats. This salad stores well, so leftovers are great for lunch the next day. The salad also packs well to take on picnics or for outdoor dining with friends.
You can use many different summer vegetables in this salad, but I have included my favorite combination in this recipe. All it needs is a drizzle of top quality extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to complete the salad. I used goat cheese crumbles on my salad, but feta cheese would also work well.
- 1 Medium Orange Bell Pepper, Stemmed, Seeded, And Cut not 4 Pieces
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper, Stemmed, Seeded, And Cut not 4 Pieces
- 1 Medium Red Onion, Peeled & Cut Into Thick Slices
- 1 Medium Zucchini, Cut Into 1/3-inch Thick Slices Lengthwise
- 1 Medium Yellow Squash, Cut Into 1/3-inch Thick Slices Lengthwise
- 2 Ears Of Corn, Cleaned
- 4 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- 4 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 1/2 Cups Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1/2 Cup Goat Cheese Crumbles
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Grill the vegetables apart from the tomatoes in batches, brushing each side with the olive oil until all sides are browned and tender, about 10 minutes total for each vegetable.
- Once cool, chop the vegetables into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl.
- Cut the kernels of corn from the cob and place in the bowl with the other vegetables.
- Add the chopped herbs, remaining olive oil and vinegar, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad, top with the goat cheese crumbles, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g