I am writing this post on the first day of fall, although here in Florida, the seasons tend to all run together. In two weeks, we’ll be back heading back to Michigan, and I must say that I am looking forward to watching the trees change colors in our forested backyard. While we are still in Florida, though, I will enjoy the warm temperatures and sunshine while I can! We tend to eat the same no matter where we are. We love pasta of any description as long as it is cooked well, and we prefer seafood over red meat. I do love my poultry, however, and have to have chicken at least once a week. We also eat salad daily and try to fit as many vegetables into our meals as possible.
I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed grilled vegetable salads this summer. I am still planning to use my outdoor grill with the arrival of fall until it either gets too cold, or snow and ice make it too uncomfortable for outdoor grilling. All vegetables taste better grilled and they give salads an extra burst of flavor. I combined both grilled corn and zucchini in this salad with orzo pasta as my base. You could use any small pasta shape if you prefer, but orzo works really well in this salad. I used a vibrant citrus dressing and tossed in a handful of chopped fresh herbs. I topped my salad with some goat cheese crumbles, but feta or ricotta salt cheese would work well also. Although I didn’t include them in this version, lightly toasted pine nuts are also great in this salad. This salad pairs well with any grilled main course, and it also packs well for picnics al fresco.
Deborah Mele 2020
- 3 Ears Of Corn
- 1 Pound Medium Zucchini
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Pound Orzo Pasta
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Mint
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Basil
- 4 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 3/4 Cup Goat Cheese Crumbles
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Husk the corn, and trim ends from the zucchini, and then slice lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices.
- Whisk together the salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Grill the corn and zucchini slices, brushing with the seasoned olive oil, and turning as needed until tender and lightly charred, about 10 minutes for the zucchini and 15 minutes for the corn.
- Set corn and zucchini aside to cool.
- Cool the orzo in lightly salted boiling water until it is "al dente".
- Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the kernels of corn from the cobs, and cut the zucchini into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the vegetables to the orzo along with the fresh herbs and toss to mix.
- Place the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until blended.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to mix.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese over the salad and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g