Beets are a vegetable that folks seem to either love or hate. When roasted, the natural sugars of any vegetable are enhanced and beets in particular become lightly sweet in flavor. My husband and I both love beets and we eat a lot of them late summer and through the fall prepared in a myriad of different ways. Beets are very nutritious, as they are rich in folate, manganese, copper. They are also high in zinc, copper, and vitamins A and C and are full of fiber too!
Beets are delicious when prepared properly and although they can now be found year round, they are at their best between late June and October. This recipe combines beets with oven baked red onions which enhances the natural sweetness of this delicious root vegetable.
I used a mix of golden and red beets, but you could simply use all red beets if that is what is available in your area. This is a great side dish for any grilled or roasted meat. You could top the beets with some goat or feta cheese also, which is delicious.
- 6 Medium Beets
- 2 Medium Red Onions (Leave Whole With Skins On)
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 2 Teaspoons Capers
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash the beets and place beets and onions in a casserole dish.
- Cover, and bake until fork tender 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Peel the beets and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Peel the onions, and cut into 1/3 inch slices.
- Mix together the beets and onions in a serving bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl until well blended.
- Pour the dressing onto the beets and toss until mixed.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g