I try hard to keep healthy snacks in the house, whether we are talking about crisp biscotti in the cookie jar, squares of tender focaccia, or whole-grain quick breads or muffins. My husband likes to snack on something after his morning bike ride, and before he heads to bed, so I seem to always be baking something for him.
Using whole wheat flour can sometimes create dense baked goods, but by using white wheat flour and both carrots and bananas, these muffins are tender and moist. In place of butter, these muffins use heart-healthy olive oil, and instead of white sugar, natural maple syrup is the preferred sweetener.
Warm spices add lots of flavor, creating muffins that are both healthy, moist, and delicious. These muffins are perfect for breakfast with your morning coffee or as a guiltless afternoon pick-me-up.
You can find my list of muffin recipes HERE!
- 1 3/4 Cup White Wheat Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 2 Large Eggs At Room Temperature
- 1 Cup Mashed Bananas
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Finely Grated Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats For Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, bananas, olive oil, syrup, and extract until blended.
- Dump the wet ingredients into the dry and use a wooden spoon to stir just until combined.
- Stir the carrots into the batter.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan.
- Sprinkle the oats on top.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out cleanly.
- Cool, remove from pan and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g