Summer is a time for outdoor dining and enjoying time with friends and family. When entertaining friends and family during the warmer weather, I often like to serve this antipasto salad as a first course. For me, this salad should have a mix of greens, including bitter lettuces such as radicchio and escarole. Romaine lettuce is also a common green used in this salad. Once you have your base of greens, you can add some additional antipasto ingredients such as marinated artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, diced Italian cheeses, and cured meats such as salami. I used a combination of cubed mozzarella and provolone cheeses, along with chopped slices of soppressata and salami. I like to also add some pickled Italian hot peppers, which have a little bit of heat and pitted Kalamata olives. You can also add halved cherry tomatoes, and diced cucumbers if you like.
For a vibrant salad with so many bold ingredients, you need to dress it with a vinaigrette that is also bold. I make a dressing of red wine vinegar, olive oil, dried oregano, and just a touch of Dijon mustard for my salad. This salad is also great to take on picnics but should be kept very cold, and shouldn’t be dressed until just before serving so that the greens stay crisp and fresh.
Deborah Mele 2021
- 8 to 10 Cups Chopped Mixed Greens (Radicchio, Escarole, Romaine)
- 1 (7 ounce) Jar Roasted Red Peppers, Drained And Sliced Into Strips
- 1 (8 ounce) Jar Marinated Artichokes, Dried & Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Drained, Sliced Italian Pickled Peppers
- 1 Medium Red Onion Half, Peepers & Cut Into Thin Strips
- 1/2 Cup Pitted Kalamata Olives, Halved
- 1/2 Cup Thinly Sliced Salami, Cut Into Strips
- 1/2 Cup Thinly Sliced Soppressata, Cut Into Strips
- 1/2 Cup Provolone, Cut Into Cubes
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella, Cut Into Cubes
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Garlic Clove, Finely Minced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the salad ingredients.
- Drizzle the dressing on top, and gently toss salad with the dressing.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 862mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 15g