I love roasting vegetables because the heat of the oven caramelizes the natural sugars within the veggies, which really intensifies the flavor, adding a subtle natural sweetness. This combination of vegetables is one of my favorites, and they create a satisfying lunch, appetizer, or side dish for roasted or grilled meat.
Although these vegetables do not need a fancy sauce or dressing to finish them, a light vinaigrette does help meld the flavors together. You can use colored carrots if you prefer, and do choose plump, fresh fennel bulbs and small to medium sized red onions.
- 2 Pounds Carrots, Peeled & Cut Into 4-inch Strips
- 3 Medium Red Onions, Peeled & Cut Into Wedges
- 2 Medium Plump Fennel Bulbs, Cut Into Wedges
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Sherry Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cover two large baking sheets with parchment paper, then place the carrots on one sheet, and the fennel and onions on the other.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Roast, tossing a few times as they cook, until the vegetables are golden brown and tender, about 25 minutes for the carrots, and 30 minutes for the onion and fennel.
- Cool to room temperature and arrange in a platter.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients, then drizzle over the vegetables.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g