I do not bake a lot of sweets unless we have company or I know family will be stopping by, but from time to time I just crave a little something sweet. With just the two of us at home, we usually choose fruit instead of sweets. In my opinion, muffins are the perfect option for a small household, because they are already serving size, and you are not tempted to take a larger slice as you might with a whole cake. Also, if I make a dozen muffins, I can freeze eight of them, and take them out to enjoy later on.
One of my favorite flavor combinations is chocolate and coffee. Paired together, one enhances the flavor of the other, and in these muffins with the addition of chocolate chips, the mocha flavor is perfect with your morning coffee, or afternoon cup of tea.
- 2 Large Eggs At Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Safflower Oil
- 1/4 Cup Strong Black Coffee At Room Temperature (I Used Espresso)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch Of Sea Salt
- 1 1/3 Cups Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Either line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners, or spray liberally with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, coffee, and vanilla on medium speed with an electric hand mixer until blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry with a wooden spoon just until combined and moistened.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin tin with the batter evenly.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
- Let cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 5g