The end of summer as we move into fall is an exciting time. The produce we have available is bountiful, and we can include both summer ingredients and ones that grow in early fall into our menus. We enjoy farro, an ancient grain that is very popular in central Italy. In Umbria, where we have our farmhouse, farro is used in salads, soups, and even as a side dish with braised and roasted meat. Using farro as a base for your salads creates a hearty salad that can be enjoyed at lunch or dinner.
This salad came about as I had a huge bowl of cherry tomatoes on my counter, a couple of zucchini, and two cobs of corn in my fridge. I roasted all the vegetables to caramelize them, which brought out the natural sugars, enhancing their flavor. Once my farro was cooked, I gently tossed my roasted vegetables and farro in a large bowl. I then added a handful of chopped fresh herbs and tossed everything in a lemon-based dressing. Just before serving, I crumbled some feta cheese on top, which adds a tang to the sweetness of the roasted veggies and the nutty flavor of the farro.
- 2 Pints Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil, Divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sugar,
- 1 Minced Garlic Clove
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 2 Small Zucchini, Trimmed and Cut Into 1-inch Dice
- 2 Cobs Of Corn, Kernels Removed
- 2 Cups Cooked Farro
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Mint or Basil
- 1/2 Cup Lightly Toasted Pine Nuts
- 3/4 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 3 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- In a bowl, toss together 2 tablespoons olive oil, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and scatter the tomatoes on top.
- Roast until the tomatoes are shriveled, about 35 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, add the zucchini, corn, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Line a second baking sheet with foil and top it with the zucchini and corn.
- Roast until the veggies are fully cooked and beginning to brown, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool vegetables to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the farro with the vegetables.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until blended.
- Add the fresh herbs to the farro and vegetables, then drizzle the dressing on top.
- Gently toss, then place the salad on a platter.
- Scatter the pine nuts and feta on top of the salad and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 554Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 7gSugar: 13gProtein: 12g