I love baking with warm spices, especially as the cooler weather moves in. Nothing is more satisfying than the aroma of a dessert made with cinnamon wafting through the house. When it comes to anything sweet, my first choice is always something with cinnamon. I enjoy baking muffins because they are always straightforward to prepare, bake quickly, and are the perfect size portion. Also, with just two of us in the house, I can freeze at least half of them to enjoy later.
Bananas add a moist texture to muffins while adding just a little flavor. I’d say cinnamon is the star in this recipe, while the banana flavor is the more subtle flavor. These muffins are perfect for enjoying with your morning cappuccino or for packing for school lunch for the kids. As well as having a tasty cinnamon swirl inside the muffins, I added a sugar-cinnamon topping to ensure every bite is delicious.
Deborah Mele 2022
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 3 Medium Ripe Bananas, Mashes (About 1 Cup)
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup White Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1 Large Egg At Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Either grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with muffin papers.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together the bananas, sour cream, sugars, melted butter, egg, and extract until blended.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and using a wooden spoon, stir just until combined.
- Fill the muffin liners 2/3 full, then top with 1/2 a teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Fill the liners to cover the sugar mixture.
- Continue filling the remaining muffin cups.
- Use leftover cinnamon sugar mixture to sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Bake 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F, and continue to bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into a center muffin comes out cleanly.
- Cool, and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g