Antipasti di Mare ~ This is a wonderful Christmas Eve appetizer but is also great prepared throughout the year. My version of this salad contains the traditional Italian combination of shrimps, scallops, and calamari, but you could also add other seafood such as mussels and octopus if you prefer. If I am entertaining my husband’s Italian family on Christmas Eve, I like to prepare a Feast of The Seven Fishes Menu. This salad is perfect for a seafood menu. This salad contains scallops, squid, and shrimp, which are cooked just until tender.
Anytime I am home for Christmas Eve, this salad is a must-have on my menu. It is best prepared the day before so that the flavors meld, and I believe that the lemon based dressing actually marinades the cooked seafood making it even more tender. Although this is a Christmas Eve favorite at our house, it would also be a great option for a New Year’s Eve party or New Year’s Day appetizer. I add chopped celery to my version of this salad for texture, and Kalamata olives to add a salty vibrancy that pairs well with the seafood.
Deborah Mele Revised 2022
- 3 Cups White Wine
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Pound Calamari, Cleaned And Cut Into Rings
- 1 Pound Medium Shrimp, Cleaned And Deveined
- 1 Pound Scallops
- 1 Cup Pitted Kalamata Olives
- 1 1/2 Cups Chopped Celery
- 1 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- 3 Large Garlic Cloves, Thinly Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Parsley
- Dash Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- In a stockpot, combine 3 quarts of water, the wine, bay leaves, and crushed garlic.
- Slice the lemons in half and squeeze the juice into the mixture.
- Drop the lemons into the pot, then bring the mixture first to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- First cook the shrimp, cook 2 minutes and remove from the pot.
- Cook the calamari 1 1/2 minutes and remove from the pot as well.
- Add the scallops to the pot, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Mix the seafood together and set aside.
- Place the seafood in a bowl and add the chopped celery.
- Add the dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and let marinade a minimum of 12 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, taste, and adjust the seasonings as needed, and add the black olives and mix well.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 635Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 219mgSodium: 1192mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g