If you have never roasted carrots, you need to do so right away. I promise you that it will be a revelation. Although I love any vegetable roasted, carrots, in particular, become very sweet as the natural sugars become caramelized by the heat of the oven.
Toss those same carrots in an olive oil mixture of minced garlic, salt, and pepper, and then add in some Parmesan cheese and you’ll end up with a vegetable side dish the whole family will love. These carrots are so good I could eat them as my meal. I always make extra vegetables when making a side dish for dinner so we can enjoy them for lunch the following day. Still, these carrots are so good that we rarely have leftovers, no matter how many I roast.
Although carrots have always been available year-round, over the past few years, multi-colored carrots have started showing up in our grocery stores. In recent months, I also began to see ruby-colored carrots being sold in a local specialty food store, and I knew that I had to try them. Whether your carrots are the regular orange colored ones or the more unique colored variety, they all taste the same, and the appearance is really the only difference.
These carrots would be a great side dish for Easter or served alongside with any roasted or braised meat or poultry. Depending on the size of your carrots, you can peel them or not although I find that they look better on the table when peeled.
- 2 Pounds Carrots, Washed, Peeled, And Cut Into 3-inch Pieces
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Fresh Thyme, Minced, Divided
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place carrots, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and a teaspoon of
- Thyme in a bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread the carrots on the baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top, then continue to roast until the carrots are tender, about 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with the remaining thyme sprinkled on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g