Fall is a wonderful time in Italy. We celebrate the grape harvest in September as ripened grapes are carefully chosen to create exceptional wines. In October, olive harvest begins, although many prefer to pick later to increase their yield. For many years, I spent six months every year in Umbria, Italy, returning to North America after harvesting our olives. In September, I’d have access to delicious grapes that I used to make Tuscan Grape Focaccia (Schiacciata con L’uva), Roasted Sausages with Grapes, or tasty bruschetta such as this one topped with roasted grapes.
This bruschetta is an easy appetizer, but you need the right ingredients. Choose flavorful seedless grapes and fresh thyme. The ricotta is whipped until creamy and used as a spread on the warm, grilled bread slices. Roasting the grapes enhances their flavor and thickens their juices. The grapes are spooned onto the bruschetta before serving, topped with fresh thyme and cracked black pepper.
- 1 Pound Seedless Red or Black Grapes
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 5 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 12 Slices Crispy Baguette Slices
- 3/4 Cup Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 3 Tablespoons Lightly Toasted Pine Nuts
- 2 Teaspoons Finely Chopped Thyme Leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, toss the grapes with the vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Spread the grapes over the baking sheet.
- Roast for about 15 minutes or until the grapes begin to pop and the grapes soften.
- In a bowl, place the ricotta, and season with salt and pepper.
- Use an electric hand mixer on high until very creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Grill or broil the bread slices on both sides until lightly browned.
- Brush the bread slices with olive oil, then spread some of the ricotta cheese on each slice.
- Arrange the bruschetta on a platter.
- Spoon the grapes equally over the bruschetta slices, then sprinkle the tops with the pine nuts and thyme.
- Sprinkle some cracked black pepper over the bread slices, then drizzle the honey over each slice.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 754Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 1218mgCarbohydrates: 116gFiber: 7gSugar: 18gProtein: 24g