Pumpkin season has arrived! I have been holding off baking anything pumpkin as the temperatures are still in the 90’s here in SW Florida. I finally gave in this week and got a can of pumpkin out of my pantry. I decided to make a batch of muffins as they are quick and easy to make, and the everyone loves them. These muffins are moist and delicious, with a light chocolate flavor that allows the pumpkin to shine through. I like to add dark chocolate chips to the muffins to give them more chocolatey goodness.
I also have made these muffins with either whole grain pastry flour or all-purpose flour with excellent results. Do use canned or fresh pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling as the pie filling has already been sweetened. In place of the chocolate chips, you could use chopped walnuts or pecans instead if you prefer.
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg At Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 2/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Dark Cocoa Powder
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 2/3 Cups All-purpose Flour (See Notes Above)
- 2/3 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line a 12-cup muffin tin with papers or grease well with baking spray.
- In one bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, vanilla, and egg until smooth.
- Add the oil and milk and whisk until blended, then whisk in the sugar.
- In another bowl, stir together the cocoa, salt, soda, and flour until mixed.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, gently mixing with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cups, filling them 3/4 full.
- Bake 8 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and continue to bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin tin for 10 minutes, then remove and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 132mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g