Any recipe with “Parmesan” in it’s title, usually is topped with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese. This easy recipe consists of golden fried breaded chicken breasts which are then baked in a tasty tomato sauce with cheese until bubbly. This is my personal recipe I make for my family and they like cheese so I add a thin slice of mozzarella cheese on top of the tomato sauce and then sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
You can substitute veal cutlets for the chicken breasts, and if you prefer a more traditional version of this recipe, then skip the mozzarella and simply use the Parmesan cheese.
Deborah Mele 2011
A chicken classic that is sure to be a family favorite.
- 1 (28 Ounce) Can Imported Diced Italian Tomatoes (Or 1 26.5 Ounce Box Pomi Brand Chopped Tomatoes)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Decrease To 1 Tablespoon If Wanting To Make A Lower Fat Version)
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Basil
- Dash Of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 4 Small Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Cups Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Thin Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, and add the garlic, and as soon as the garlic begins to sizzle, but before it takes on color, add the tomatoes.
- Turn the heat to high, and as soon as the sauce begins to bubble, turn back down to medium low.
- Season with salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes if you are using them, and add the basil.
- Cook for another minute of two and remove from the heat.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper, and place in a plastic bag.
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are 1/2 inch thick, and then place each breast into the bag with the flour, and shake until it is well coated.
- Beat the egg with the milk in a bowl, and in a second bowl place the bread crumbs.
- Dip each chicken breast first into the egg mixture, and then into the crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a frying pan, heat the butter with the olive oil.
- Once the butter mixture is sizzling, fry the breasts until golden on each side, about 4 minutes per side.
- Place the chicken breasts side by side in a baking dish.
- Spoon some of the prepared sauce over the cutlets, and then lay a slice of mzzarella cheese on each.
- Finally, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.