Dandelions are a very bitter green that are extremely popular in the spring although in recent years cultured dandelions can be found in many organic grocery stores year round. By caramelizing the onions which makes them sweet they create a nice balance to temper the bitterness of the greens just a bit.
We have been trying out many different variations of pizza dough to create one that contained a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flours but still remains tender and this dough gave us exactly what we were looking for.
Deborah Mele 2011
Dandelion Greens And Caramelized Onion Pizza
A healthier pizza made with a partial whole wheat crust and topped with bitter greens.
- 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 2 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Dough (Or King Arthur’s White Wheat Flour)
- 1 Package Active Dry Yeast
- 1 3/4 Cups Warm Water
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Bunch Dandelion Greens (Or About 8 Cups Chopped Into 2 Inch Pieces)
- 1 Large Red Onion, Peeled And Thinly Sliced
- 2 Large Cloves Garlic, Peeled And Minced
- 6 Slices Prosciutto, Finely Chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Sliced Fontina Cheese
- Mix the yeast in 1/2 cup of the water and let sit 10 minutes.
- Place the flour into a mound on the counter creating a well in the center, then add the yeast mixture, olive oil, and sea salt into the well.
- Slowly add additional water and mix it into the flour until you have a dough, and knead the dough by hand, adding additional flour to prevent sticking, or a little extra water if needed until you have a soft dough, about 8 minutes.
- Oil a large bowl and place the dough into the bowl to rise.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until the dough has doubled.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the topping.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the olive oil and once hot add the onion slices.
- Continue to cook the onions over medium heat until they are very soft and caramelized, then add the garlic and prosciutto, and stir to mix well.
- Add the dandelion greens and stir to mix well.
- Continue to cook until the dandelions are soft and wilted.
- Season with the cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.
- Sprinkle each cookie sheet with corn meal and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Once the dough has doubled, divide it into two parts, and press each half into a circle about 12 to 14 inches wide onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Divide the topping in half and spread over the dough circles leaving a 1 1/2 inch edge all around.
- Scatter the cheese slices on top of the pizzas and bake until browned, about 20 minutes.
- Serve either warm or at room temperature.