Since we have a pizza oven in the backyard of our Florida home, when we are there, we make pizza at least once a week. This pizza is one of my personal favorites and combines toppings more commonly found in North America than Italy, but on a traditional thin crust dough. It is rich and filling even on a thin crust so I find two slices is plenty to fill me up.
Pizza sauce in Italy is fresh and simple and very different than the sweet, over processed canned stuff one finds at the grocery store here. My pizza sauce can be made in mere minutes and really improves the taste of any pizza!
Good quality imported tomatoes from Italy are so flavorful you can eat them right out of the can. I prefer to use Pomi brand, from Parmelat which you find in a box which is a little less than 28 ounces. Many groceries today do sell imported tomatoes, but certainly if you can’t find them in your local grocery, an Italian specialty store will stock them.
Deborah Mele 2011
Deb's Favorite Pizza
This is one pizza I make often with all of my favorite toppings.
- 2 Pizza Dough Balls (See My Pizza Dough Recipe)
- 2 Cups Prepared Tomato Sauce
- 2 Cups Full Fat Cubed Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Small Onion, Peeled And Chopped
- 8 Ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms, Sliced (Or White Button Mushrooms)
- 2 Cups Thin Sliced Pepperoni Sausage
- 6 Strips Bacon, Chopped
- Preheat oven to the highest setting and place a pizza stone in the oven for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the bacon, onions, and mushrooms in a frying pan and cook until the bacon begins to crisp, and the mushrooms and onions are soft and brown. drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Making one pizza at a time, shape your pizza dough into a 12 inch circle and place it on a pizza peel lightly sprinkled with corn meal.
- On each pizza, spread one cup of the prepared tomato sauce on top, and then divide the mozzarella evenly between the two pizzas.
- Divide the bacon mixture between both pizzas, and then arrange the pepperoni slices evenly across both pizzas.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is lightly browned. serve immediately cut into wedges.