Cookies have always played an important part in Italian cuisine, whether they are consumed for breakfast with a cappuccino, or nibbled with a quick shot of espresso at a mid-morning or afternoon break. Most Italian cookie recipes are nut based such as these delicious crisp cookies which get their flavor from a mix of espresso and hazelnuts.
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Instant Espresso
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup (2 Sticks) Chilled Unsalted Butter Cut Into Pieces
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Hazelnuts, Toasted, Skins Removed, Chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and blend until fine.
- Add the flour, sugar, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt and pulse until mixed.
- Add the butter and vanilla, and pulse just until the dough comes together.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a thickness of 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a 2 inch cookie cutter and cut out as many cookies as you can.
- Roll the scraps and cut out as many more cookies as you can.
- Place the cookies on a prepared baking sheet and bake approximately 12 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown and the cookies are set.
- Cool completely and then lightly sift powdered sugar over the cookies. Store in an airtight container.