Italians generally do not eat heavy breakfasts, but enjoy instead a light pastry or a slice of a simple cake such as this moist apple cake with their morning coffee. Yogurt is added to this recipe, which along with the chopped apples creates a really light and moist cake.
As this cake is not too sweet, it is also perfect with a cappuccino for a mid-morning or afternoon coffee break. I used a fluted bundt pan for my cake, but a tube pan would work just fine. I chose to use Granny Smith apples as I love their tart flavor, but feel free to use your personal favorite apple in this recipe.
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Softened Unsalted Butter (1 Stick)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 1/4 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 (8 Ounce) Container Plain or Vanilla Yogurt
- 2 Cups Peeled And Chopped Apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 12 inch bundt pan.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, and then add eggs and and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add this dry mixture 1/3 at a time, alternating with yogurt.
- Mix after each addition just until combined.
- Fold in the apples and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool, and if desired, sift a little powdered sugar on top before serving.