This delicate, saffron seasoned risotto dish goes with just about any entree, but is traditionally served with Osso Buco in Milan as shown in the photo. The saffron has a delicate, subtle flavor that is delicious.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth, Heated
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (2 Tbsp Removed To Finish The Dish)
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 2 Cups Arborio Rice
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Teaspoon Of Saffron Threads Soaked In A Little Stock
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Heat the 4 tablespoons of butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the onions and cook until they are translucent, then add the rice and stir until it is well coated with the butter.
- Pour in the white wine next, and stir continually over medium heat until it is absorbed.
- Start to add 1/2 cup of hot broth, stirring as it is absorbed.
- Continue in this manner, adding ladles full of hot broth, and stirring continuously for about 20-25 minutes or until the rice is cooked, but remains slightly firm to the teeth.
- About 5 minutes before completion, add the saffron.
- Remove from the heat, add the remaining butter and the parmesan cheese.
- Serve, offering additional cheese if desired.