Spaghetti alle Vongole With Pomodorini ~ Spaghetti with clam sauce is a very traditional, simple dish found across Italy. I love adding sweet cherry tomatoes in with the clams which adds a delicious sweetness. The tomatoes seem to bring out the fresh flavor of the clams and help to keep the pasta moist. Try to find small, fresh clams to use in this recipe such as littleneck clams. Since some clams can be sandy, it is a good precaution to soak them in cool water for up to an hour before using. You can choose to remove all of the clams from the shells for serving, or remove most of them and leave just a few on the half shell as a garnish as shown in the photo.
Deborah Mele 2011
Spaghetti With Clams And Cherry Tomatoes
Spaghetti with clam sauce is a very traditional, simple dish found across Italy.
- 1 Pound Spaghetti (or Linguine)
- 3 Pounds Small Clams, Scrubbed And Soaked
- 3 Cloves Of Garlic, Minced
- 3 Cups Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1/3 Cup Good Quality Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Small Red Chile, Or Red Pepper Flakes To Taste
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Freshly Chopped Parsley
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the oil, then add the garlic and chile pepper and cook for just about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes or just until the tomatoes begin to soften.
- Add the parsley, clams and wine, and cook over medium heat until the clams open, about 5 minutes.
- Shake the pan occasionally to ensure even heat distribution.
- Discard any clams that do not open.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a small cup of pasta water.
- Add the pasta to the clams and mix well, adding a little of the pasta water if the mixture seems dry.
- Serve immediately.