This is another of our favorite poultry recipes which consists of tender stuffed chicken breasts served with a delicious warm mushroom marsala wine sauce spooned on top. When you cut into the chicken the melted cheese oozes out. I would serve this dish with garlic mashed potatoes or warm polenta.
Deborah Mele 2011
Stuffed Chicken Breasts In Mushroom Marsala Wine Sauce
Tender stuffed chicken breasts served with a delicious warm mushroom marsala wine sauce spooned on top.
- 4 (About 6 oz) Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 4 Slices Prosciutto Cotto (Cooked Ham)
- 4 Thin Slices Fontina Cheese
- 1 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 8 oz. Cleaned, Chopped Mushroom (Baby Bella Are Nice)
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 1/4 Cups Marsala Wine
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- To stuff the chicken breasts, working with one at a time, butterfly breast halves: Lay each breast half, skinned side up, lengthwise on a cutting board.
- Holding a sharp knife parallel to work surface and beginning on a long side, cut breast almost in half horizontally (not all the way through), then open it like a book.
- Cover opened breast halves with a piece of plastic wrap and gently pound each to an even 1/2-inch thickness with a meat pounder or rolling pin.
- Remove plastic wrap and cover each opened breast half with 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese, tucking in any protruding ends.
- Fold each breast in half to enclose ham and cheese.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper, then dredge the chicken breasts in the flour and set aside.
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides.
- Saute chicken, turning over once, until golden and cooked through, about 8 minutes total.
- Keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until tender and brown.
- Add the Marsala wine to the pan and cook over high heat scraping the browned bits into the sauce.
- Add the chicken broth and continue to cook until the mixture has reduced by half.
- Stir in the cream and continue cooking until thick.
- Serve the chicken breasts on a warm platter, spooning the mushroom sauce over top.