I call this cake Chocolate Indulgence Cake because although I do not give in often, the one indulgence I crave from time to time is something chocolate. We do not eat many desserts in our house but when we do I prefer something rich and satisfying like this chocolate cake rather than a dessert that is gooey and overly sweet.
It is an easy cake to make and the only trick to preparing it is to remove it from the oven at the right moment. This cake stores well if it is well wrapped in the refrigerator, and even seems to improve the day after it is baked. The center will fall a bit after baking so do not be concerned as it does not affect the flavor at all. I like to serve this cake in small slices with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of cocoa powder but it is also delicious simply topped with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
The Cake Right From The Oven!
Deborah Mele 2011
Chocolate Indulgence Cake
A little slice of chocolate heaven!
- 8 Ounces Good Quality Semisweet Chocolate
- 2 1/2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 6 Eggs, Separated
- 1/4 Cup Strong Espresso Coffee
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Ground Almonds
- Whipped Cream
- Cocoa Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Lightly butter a 10 inch baking pan.
- In a double boiler, heat the butter with the chocolate and stir as it melts until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Add the espresso, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Add the cornstarch, baking powder, and almonds.
- Mix in the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the whites into the chocolate mixture until blended.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
- When a skewer is inserted into the cake it should still have a little chocolate mixture sticking to it.
- If it comes out completely clean the cake has baked a little too long.
- Cool 10 minutes and then remove from the cake pan.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Serve by topping each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and then garnish with a little powdered cocoa.