Translated as “straw & hay”, this pasta dish contains a mix of both spinach and egg noodle pasta. This version is sauced with a delicious bolognese sauce but almost any sauce would be delicious on this fresh pasta.
Deborah Mele 2011
Paglia e Fieno With Bolognese Sauce
A mix of spinach and egg pasta topped with a hearty ragu sauce.
- Fresh Fettuccine Noodles, Using Both Spinach And Egg Pasta (To Make Your Own From Scratch, Simply Make Half Portions Of Each Of My
- Spinach And Basic Egg Pasta Recipes
- 1 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Medium Sized Carrots, Finely Minced
- 2 Medium Stalks of Celery, Finely Minced
- 3 oz. Prosciutto or Pancetta, Finely Chopped
- 6 oz. Ground Beef
- 6 Oz. Ground Veal
- 4 oz. Chicken Livers, Finely Chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Pound Canned or Fresh Prepared Tomatoes
- 1 Small Can Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- Salt & Pepper
- Pinch Of Nutmeg
- Pinch Of Dried Hot Peppers
- 3/4 Cup Beef Broth
- 1/2 to 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- Grated Parmesan or Pecorino Cheese
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped vegetables and saute until softened.
- Add the ground and chopped meats and cook for about 10 minutes or until the meat is fully cooked and browned bits begin to form along the bottom.
- Add the wine to the pot and let evaporate, stirring up the browned bits.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasonings, and simmer for around 30 minutes.
- Add 1/2 of the broth.
- Cover and simmer another 60 minutes, adding additional broth if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Taste the sauce and add additional seasoning if needed.
- Add enough cream to just lighten the color in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from heat.
- Cook the pasta al dente. (Remember, fresh pasta will only take a minute or two to cook, so have everything else ready before you cook the pasta. )
- Add some of the warm sauce to the drained pasta, and cook over medium heat until piping hot for a couple of minutes.
- Serve, topping the pasta with an additional scoop of meat serve.
- Offer grated cheese at the table.