Roasting any vegetable causing a caramelization process that bring out their sweetness. When I can buy small beets at a good price I love to buy a bunch, roast them and then keep them in my refrigerator to use as a delicious side dish. I used a mix of golden and red beets in this recipe which is particularly pretty, but all red beets would work just fine.
Deborah Mele 2011
Roasting beets brings out the natural sugars creating a delicious side dish.
- 1 Pound Small Mixed Color Beets
- 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Mint (or Parsley)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the beets, and cut off the tops.
- Place the beets on a large sheet of aluminum foil, and close it up to create a package.
- Place on a baking sheet, and bake until fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Peel the beets, and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place the beets in a serving dish and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Toss to coat then sprinkle with the chopped fresh mint.