Roasting vegetables caramelizes them which brings out their full rich flavor, and gives them a sweetness that is delicious. This recipe can be varied using your favorite root vegetables, and goes very well with roasted or grilled meats. For variations, you could sustitute white potatoes for the sweet ones, and carrots for the parsnips.
After roasting, the vegetables are dressed with a light balsamic mixture that brings out the flavor even more. I prefer serving this dish at room temperature which makes it a great dish to prepare ahead of time, but if you prefer your vegetables hot, simply reheat behore serving in a hot oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 8 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Sweet Potaoes, Peeled, Cut Into 1 1/2 Inch Pieces
- 2 Cups Rutabagas, Peeled, Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 2 Cups Parsnips, Peeled, Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 1 Turnip, Peeled, Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Thyme, Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary, Chopped
- Salt And Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Fresh, Chopped Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Rind, Chopped
- Salt And Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cover two large baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the vegetables, fresh herbs, salt and pepper, and 8 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix well so the vegetables are lightly coated in the oil.
- Lay the vegetables on the prepared baking sheets, and roast in the hot oven for 45 to 50 minutes, turning occasionally, or until the vegetables are browned and fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and allow the vegetables to come to room temperature.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients, and drizzle the dressing over the vegetables.
- Toss to mix, and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 475Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g