Costa di Maiale Calabrese ~ Calabrians preserve many of their vegetables in oil to be used throughout the year, and this recipe uses some of those vegetables preserved in oil in a tasty sauce for spare ribs. This recipe can be adapted to suit all tastes. We like our food a bit spicy, so we add in a hot, mixed vegatable antipasto mix, but you could simply use vegatables preserved in oil without the chiles. Slow roasting ribs in this manner creates meat so tender it falls off the bone.
Deborah Mele 2011
Calabrian Style Pork Ribs
These Calabrian pork ribs can be made as spicy as you prefer.
- 2 Cups Canned, Chopped Tomatoes (Or Tomato Puree)
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Basil
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms Preserved In Oil, Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Artichokes Preserved In Oil, Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mixed Hot Vegetable Antipasto, Finely Chopped (Optional)
- 2 Slabs Lean Pork ribs
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Season the ribs both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the ribs in a baking pan and bake for one hour.
- Mix together the chopped vegetables with the tomatoes and basil and pour the sauce over top of the ribs.
- Cover, and bake for another hour at 300 degrees F.
- Uncover, reduce the heat to 250 degrees F. and cook another hour, turning the ribs over once during this time, and basting them with the sauce.
- If the sauce gets too thick while cooking, add 1/2 cup of water and mix this into the sauce.
- Serve the ribs in pieces, with the sauce spooned on top.