We love Caprese salads, which is simply buffalo mozzarella, ripe fresh tomatoes, and basil dressed with olive oil, salt and pepper and I have taken those ingredients as a filling for this tasty piadini sandwich. This panini would be great for picnics outdoors, but I would take the ingredients packed separately and assemble them just before serving in order to prevent the sandwiches from becoming soggy.
Deborah Mele 2011
Mozzarella and tomatoes are used to fill these traditional central Italian flatbreads.
- 4 Piadini Breads
- 2 Balls Buffalo Mozzarella, Sliced
- 2 Large, Ripe Tomatoes, Thinly SlicedFreshly Washed And Dried Arugula
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil Pesto
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Lay the piadini side by side opened flat.
- On one half of each lay down some arugula leaves, a row of mozzarella, then the tomatoes.
- Mix together the pesto and olive oil, and then drizzle this over the mozzarella and tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, fold each sandwich in half and serve.