Zuppa di Cozze
This recipe is so simple it is hard to believe it tastes so great! To ensure the best results, use the freshest mussels you can find. Keep the mussels in a bowl in the fridge in a little water until you are ready to use them. To clean, scrub under running water, removing the “beards” or vegetation attached. Don’t leave them in a closed plastic bag or they will die before you have a chance to cook them.
Deborah Mele 2011
Zuppa di Cozze
A simple saute of mussels.
- 3 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 2 Stalks of Celery, Chopped
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 (14 oz.) Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 3 Pounds Mussels, Scrubbed with Beards Removed
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion, celery and garlic until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook 5-10 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the wine and cook an additional 10 minutes, adding as much water as needed if the sauce bevomes too thick.
- Add the cleaned, drained mussels, cover, and cook until the shells open, which should be about 5 additional minutes.
- Add the parsley just before serving.
- You can serve this dish on grilled garlic bread, spooning the juices over the bread in a shallow bowl, or serve with a good crusty bread on the side.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 726Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 191mgSodium: 1361mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 82g
The best Mussle Recipe ever!!! …one of my fondest memories of a dear friend and priest…said he would give it a try and before long the broth was dripping down his chin and we was exclaiming how wonderful it was while dunking his bread back in the dish. Have made this many times with Castle San Angelo Pinot and can’t get enough…
I normally oven roast the tomatoes with salt and a bit of olive oil and usually use some sort of plum/ cherry tomatoes .. the sweetest type I can find xx