Baci di Giulietta are small chocolate cookies flavored with ground toasted almonds which are sandwiched together in pairs with chocolate filling. Paired with Romeo’s Kisses they may a very attractive addition to any holiday cookie tray!
Deborah Mele 2011
Baci di Giulietta are small chocolate cookies flavored with ground toasted almonds which are sandwiched together in pairs with chocolate filling.
- 1/2 Pound, or 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1/3 Cup Icing Or Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 2/3 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cocoa Powder (Dutch Process)
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Almonds (See Note Below), Finely Ground
- 2 Ounces Semisweet Or Dark Chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 Cup Toasted Almonds Ground
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare two baking sheets either with silicon sheets, or by buttering them.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the salt and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour, cocoa and ground almonds to the bowl, and mix just until blended.
- Shape the cookies by rolling small pieces of dough into 1 inch balls, and placing these one inch apart on the baking sheets.
- Continue shaping the cookies in this manner until you have used all of the dough.
- Bake the cookies until firm, about 10 to 12 minutes.(Do not let the cookies brown, or they will dry out.)
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- To make the filling, melt the chocolate together with the butter in a double boiler, or in a small pot set over a larger one half filled with simmering water.
- Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, mix in the ground almonds.
- Spread a small bit of icing (about 1 teaspoon full) unto the flat side of one cookie, and place another cookie bottom side down onto the filling.
- Lightly press the cookies together, and set back onto the wire racks until the chocolate has set.
- Repeat this step until all of the cookies have been sandwiched together with the filling.
Note: To toast the almonds, place them on a cookie sheet, and bake for about 8 minutes or just until they begin to brown.