Baci di Giulietta are small chocolate cookies flavored with ground toasted almonds which are sandwiched together in pairs with chocolate filling. Paired with Romeo’s Kisses they may a very attractive addition to any holiday cookie tray!
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1/2 Pound, or 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1/3 Cup Icing Or Confectioner's Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 2/3 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cocoa Powder (Dutch Process)
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Almonds (See Note Below), Finely Ground
- 2 Ounces Semisweet Or Dark Chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 Cup Toasted Almonds Ground
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare two baking sheets either with silicon sheets, or by buttering them.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the salt and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour, cocoa and ground almonds to the bowl, and mix just until blended.
- Shape the cookies by rolling small pieces of dough into 1 inch balls, and placing these one inch apart on the baking sheets.
- Continue shaping the cookies in this manner until you have used all of the dough.
- Bake the cookies until firm, about 10 to 12 minutes.(Do not let the cookies brown, or they will dry out.)
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- To make the filling, melt the chocolate together with the butter in a double boiler, or in a small pot set over a larger one half filled with simmering water.
- Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, mix in the ground almonds.
- Spread a small bit of icing (about 1 teaspoon full) unto the flat side of one cookie, and place another cookie bottom side down onto the filling.
- Lightly press the cookies together, and set back onto the wire racks until the chocolate has set.
- Repeat this step until all of the cookies have been sandwiched together with the filling.
Note: To toast the almonds, place them on a cookie sheet, and bake for about 8 minutes or just until they begin to brown.