A basic broth made simply of vegetables that can be used to flavor many recipes. You can use your own choice of fresh seasonal vegetables, but just use ones that complement each other and avoid ones that have too strong of a flavor.
Cooks Tip: Save some of the broth and pour into plastic ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen remove the cubes and place them in plastic bags and store in the freezer. These cubes can be used to add flavor to any recipe, or to cook vegetables, allowing you to decrease the amount of oil used.
Deborah Mele 2011
A basic broth that can be used as a base for many soups.
- 2 Quarts Water
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves, Chopped
- 3 Onions, Quartered
- 3 Medium Potatoes, Peeled And Quartered
- 3 Large Carrots, Chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks, Chopped
- 1 Bunch Greens (SwissChard, Spinach, etc.)
- 1 Small Bunch Parsley, Chopped
- 4 Tomatoes, Quartered
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Add all the ingredients to a large stock pot, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, and simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Use a large spoon to remove any foam that rises to the surface while the broth cooks.
- Strain, reserving the broth.