I have always loved the combination of figs and prosciutto; the sweet and salty combination is addicting! I took the combination one step further in this wonderful fall salad of mixed baby greens by cooking the prosciutto into crisp pieces, and adding toasted walnuts, goat cheese crumbles, and sliced ripe figs. I kept the dressing simple by using a light vinaigrette, and served this delicious salad as an appetizer before a roast pork with baby potatoes and sauteed greens.
I chose to use a premixed salad greens combination of baby lettuces, but baby spinach, arugula, or leaf lettuce would work really well also. Instead of simply slicing the fresh figs as I have shown in the photo, you can also half them and grill them before adding them to the salad which really enhances their sweetness. To lightly toast the walnuts, simply place them in a frying pan over medium heat and shake it often until the walnuts are heated and lightly browned.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 4 Handfuls Of Fresh Washed And Dried Baby Greens
- 8 Figs, Stems Removed And Sliced
- 4 Thin Slices Prosciutto di Parma, Cut Into 1 Inch Strips
- 1/2 Small Red Onion, Peeled, And Thinly Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Walnut Halves, Lightly Toasted
- 3 Ounces Goat Cheese
- 6 Teaspoons White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- In a nonstick frying pan, cook the prosciutto strips until they begin to brown and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. (They will crisp up more as they cool so do not worry if they are not completely crispy once they begin to brown.)
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- On four individual plates, arrange the salad greens, onions, figs, walnuts and prosciutto crisps.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and drizzle some over each plate.
- Crumble the goat cheese on top of the salad and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 1019mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 18g Protein: 15g