I first noticed this combination of broccoli rabe and sausage on a pizza on our last trip to Italy, and although I was intrigued, I never got around to trying it. I knew when I returned home though, that I would try it out on my own pizza, and this past weekend we had a family pizza night and I chose these toppings for my pizza. My family loves greens of all types, although I think boccoli rabe would have to be considered one of our favorites. I have never tried using this delicious vegetable on a pizza before but when I finally did, it was a real hit with everyone, and I know I will be making this pizza many times in the future. I used spicy sausages on our pizzas because my family likes a little heat, but mild sausages would work well also.
Deborah Mele 2011
Broccoli Rabe And Sausage Pizza
Broccoli rabe has a slightly bitter flavor that goes well as a pizza topping along with sausages.
- 4 Balls Pizza Dough For Individual Sized Pizzas
- Use My Favorite Pizza Dough Recipe Or Dough Of Your Choice
- 1 Bunch Prepared Broccoli Rabe (See Instructions Below)
- 4 Large Sausage Links
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Cups Prepared Tomato Sauce
- 1 (8 Ounce) Block Mozzarella Cheese, Thinly Sliced
- To prepare the broccoli rabe, wash the stalks and cut the leafy parts into 1 to 2 inch lengths.
- Peel the stems and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and cook for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and cook two cloves of garlic peeled and minced until sizzling.
- Add salt, pepper, and a dash of red pepper flakes.
- Return the broccoli rabe to the pot and cook a minute or two more in the seasoned oil, and cool.
- In a skillet, heat the oil, then remove the sausage meat from the casings and cook until lightly browned, breaking the meat up with a fork as it cooks, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Roll out one ball of dough into a 12 to 14 inch circle and place on a cornmeal dusted pizza peel.
- Spoon some of the tomato sauce onto the pizza spreading it to within 1 inch of the edge.
- Place cheese slices over the sauce, then top with some of the broccoli rabe and sausages.
- Cook for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve immediately and continue to prepare and cook the rest of the pizzas.