When mid summer rolls around we always seem to be up to our ears in zucchini. Although I love most vegetables, too much of anything isn’t always a good thing. Having picked yet another basket full of zucchini one day I wanted to come up with a new way to prepare them. Eggplant Parmesan is a favorite dish of mine, so I decided since I had lots of zucchini and no eggplants I would make a nice casserole dish of Zucchini Parmesan. I do not like to fry either my eggplant or zucchini in this dish so I simply cut lengthwise into thin slices, brush the slices lightly with olive oil and grill them under my broiler until they are lightly browned.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 6 Medium Large Zucchini
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Tomato Sauce (See Below)
- 1 1/2 Cups Grated Parmesan Cheese (Set 1/2 Cup Aside For Topping)
- 1 Cup Homemade Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly Chopped Parsley
- 1 Recipe Quick Tomato Sauce
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove the top and bottom of the zucchini and slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces lengthwise.
- Place on a baking sheet, lightly brush with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper and broil until the zucchini just begin to brown.
- Turn over and brown the other side as well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large oven-proof casserole, lightly coat the bottom with tomato sauce.
- Layer zucchini slices to completely cover the bottom and then spoon on tomato sauce to cover.
- Sprinkle about 1/3 of the grated parmesan and continue to layer the rest of the zucchini in the same manner ending with a layer of just sauce on top.
- Mix together the remaining 1/2 cup parmesan cheese with the breadcrumbs and chopped parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper and then drizzle in a tablespoon or so of olive oil.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the sauce evenly and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 532mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 6g Protein: 8g