I use this sauce to top pasta, polenta, and gnocchi and it can be put together quickly yet tastes delicious. Although many hearty meat based sauces take hours of simmering away on the stove to complete, this sauce can be completed from start to finish in less than 30 minutes. For a great tasting sauce, use the best tasting sausages you can buy (homemade is best), as well as good quality tomatoes. I prefer Pomi brand chopped tomatoes for this sauce. although strained tomatoes work well also. I feel a meaty sauce such as this one creates a pasta dish that can be considered a main course so all you would need is some crusty Italian bread and a crisp green salad and your dinner is complete! We usually prefer spicy Italian sausage, but feel free to substitute a mild version if you prefer.
This Sauce Is Also Delicious Served On A Mound Of Soft Polenta
Deborah Mele 2011
Sausage Tomato Sauce
A hearty meat ragu that can be prepared quickly though it tastes like it took hours.
- 4 Good Quality Italian Sausage Links
- 1 Small Onion (About 1/2 Cup) Chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Peeled and Minced
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Box Pomi Chopped Tomatoes (26 Ounce) Or Equivalent Of Your Favorite Brand Of Tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil and cook the chopped onion until it is soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook a minute or two more until fragrant.
- Remove the sausage meat from the casings, and add to the saucepan.
- Using two forks break up the sausage meat as it cooks into small pieces.
- Continue to cook until the meat is lightly browned, than add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, chopped basil and red pepper flakes if using and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in half the parsley.
- Use to top your favorite pasta, polenta or gnocchi and garnish with remaining chopped parsley.