I haven’t made this delicious dip for a while, but pulled the recipe out of my files recently when I was looking for healthy, high protein, low fat snacks. This dip is so simple, yet delicious and can be enjoyed with everything from toasted bruschetta to baked pita chips, or with celery sticks or red pepper wedges. I love the roasted garlic flavor in this dish and used a whole large head of garlic in my version. This dip is also great for parties and can easily be multiplied to serve a lot of guests. Cannellini beans are very healthy for you as they are low-fat, high in fiber and provide a high quality of magnesium, fiber, iron and folate. They even have twice as much iron as beef! By keeping canned beans in your pantry, you can easily throw together quick and easy recipes like this one for unexpected guests or spur of the moment snack cravings.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 (19 Ounce) Can Cannellini Beans
- 1 Large Head Roasted Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chicken Broth (As Needed)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Dash of Hot Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Two Tablespoons Chopped Tomatoes Or Red Peppers
- Drain the beans in a strainer and rinse with water, then allow to drain well.
- Place the beans, in a food processor and squeeze the roasted head of garlic on top of the beans.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes (if using) and salt and pepper.
- Pulse until smooth, adding as much chicken broth as needed to create a smooth dip.
- Place the dip in a bowl and serve with toasted bread, baked pita wedges, celery sticks and/or wedges of red peppers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 445mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 1g Protein: 6g