Although I enjoy the flavor of all roasted vegetables, I find roasting beets in their skins is the best way to cook them as it brings out their natural sweetness. I often roast beets and eat them simply drizzled with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, but there are times when I want to dress them up a little as in this salad recipe. We can find bunches of both red and golden yellow beets at our local farmer’s market and I love the contrast in colors you get by using both. I added walnuts candied with maple syrup, as well as goat cheese crumbles to complete this salad. To dress the salad, I drizzled it with a zesty mustard honey vinaigrette with chopped chives. This salad is great for entertaining as it can be prepared ahead of time and then dressed just before serving.
Deborah Mele 2011
Roasted Beet Salad With Walnuts And Goat Cheese
Roasting the beets caramelizes them and brings out their natural sweetness.
- 8 to 9 Small to Medium red And Yellow Beets
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Cup Walnut Halves
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 Ounces Goat Cheese
- 1/4 Cup White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Clove Honey
- 3/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Chives
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the beets and place in an oven-proof casserole dish, then bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Allow to cool, then cut off each end and peel.
- To prepare the walnuts, heat the butter until sizzling in a frying pan over medium heat and then add walnuts.
- Cook the walnuts for about 2 minutes, shaking the pan a few times while they cook.
- Add the maples syrup and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the dressing, add all of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- To assemble the salad, slice the beets and arrange them attractively onto four plates.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and crumble the goat cheese over the beets.
- Whisk the dressing once more, and then drizzle some of the dressing over each plate.
- Serve immediately.