This is a quick, easy sauce to make using fresh basil with just a little cream that is delicious on homemade cavatelli or just about any other pasta you choose. Traditionally, this sauce would be made with a mortar and pestle, but a food processor works just fine fine. I like to leave a little texture in my pesto but if you prefer, you can blend it very smooth. Add as much or as little of the heavy cream into the sauce until you obtain the consistency you prefer.
Deborah Mele 2011
Cavatelli With Creamy Pesto Sauce
This is a quick, easy sauce to make using fresh basil with just a little cream that is delicious on homemade cavatelli or just about any other pasta you choose.
- 1 Recipe Homemade Cavatelli (or Store Bought Fresh or Frozen)
- 2 Cups Fresh Basil Leaves, Packed
- 1/4 Cup Lightly Toasted Pine Nuts
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 to 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- Diced Tomato
- Toasted Pine Nuts
- Additional Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor except the oil, and pulse.
- Start to add in the oil slowly, pulsing continuously until you have a smooth paste.
- Place the pesto into a small pot with half the cream and heat.
- Add more cream as needed to create the perfect consistency, then keep warm.
- Cook the cavatelli in a large pot of boiling salted water until done, about 5 minutes.
- The cavatelli will rise to the surface when cooked.
- Drain and toss with the pesto sauce.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with the diced tomato and pine nuts.
- Offer additional grated cheese at the table.