I love fresh corn, and we are lucky here in Florida to be able to buy it all year long. I usually prefer it simply grilled and seasoned with herbs and spices, but I recently decided to try it in the form of a corn fritter instead, or frittelle di mais. Since we are working hard to eating healthier this year, I used white wheat flour in place of the all-purpose flour in my recipe, and I cut out much of the fat I use for frying by using a non-stick frying pan. Instead of topping the fritters with my usual favorite herb butter I garnished them simply with dollops of Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of green onions. The fritters were delicious, and we did not miss the additional fat at all. If you are unable to buy fresh corn, you can use frozen although these fritters are much tastier (in my opinion at least) using fresh corn. I used a combination of fresh chives, basil, and parsley in my version. We enjoyed these fritters as a first course or appetizer but they would be delicious served as a side dish to roasted meat or poultry as well.
Deborah Mele 2011
A great way to use up corn when it is in season.
- 1 1/2 Cups Fresh Corn, Cut Off The Cob
- 1 Large Egg, Lightly Beaten
- 1/2 Cup Flour (All-purpose, or White Wheat)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh, Chopped Herbs (See Above)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil For Frying
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Green Onions
- Mix together the corn and egg, then add the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the fresh chopped herbs and just enough milk to make a thick batter. (The batter should be chunky but have no visible bits of flour.)
- Brush a non-stick frying pan with a little olive oil and heat to medium temperature.
- Drop four heaping tablespoons of the batter into the pan evenly spaced apart, and use the back of the spoon to gently flatten the fritters.
- Cook the fritters on one side of medium heat for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Using a spatula, carefully turn the fritters over and cook the other side for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove the fritters to a warm plate and continue to cook the remaining fritters in the same manner.
- To serve, arrange on a platter and top with dollops of Greek yogurt and then sprinkle with the green onions.