These risotto balls make great party food. You can also fry them 3-4 hours in advance, and then reheat them at 350 degrees F. just before serving. I like to serve them with a spicy tomato sauce but they are also great on their own. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover risotto and kids just love them!
Preparing risotto at home requires a particular cooking technique that is found primarily in northern Italy and used for all risotto dishes you may want to make. Although the flavoring additions are endless, you need to start with the same basics every time. The two main ingredients consist of the rice and broth. You should use an Italian variety of rice that is specifically grown in Italy, such as Arborio, Vialone Nano, or Cararoli. Arborio can now be found in most American grocery stores, but certainly can be found at an Italian specialty store.
The broth should be homemade; to ensure the most flavorful results, but if time or circumstances make having homemade broth impossible, use the best canned broth you can find. Chicken, vegetable, fish and meat broths are all used depending on the other ingredients used in the dish.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 1 Recipe Basic Risotto Parmesan Left To Cool For At Least 4 Hours
- 2 oz. Mozzarella Cheese Cut Into 1/2 Inch Dice
- 1 Piece Cooked Ham, Cut Into 1/2 Inch Dice
- 2 Cups Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- Oil For Frying
- Take a small handful of rice about 2 Tablespoons full in your hands and shape into a shallow cup.
- Place in the cup, a piece of mozzarella and ham.
- Enclose the rice around the cheese, and roll into a round ball.
- Roll the rice ball in bread crumbs and set aside.
- Continue in this manner until all the rice has been used.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or deep fryer until a frying thermometer registers 375 degrees F.
- Carefully slip 5-6 balls into the hot oil at a time, and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent towels, and keep warm until you are ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 3 rice balls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 1087mg Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 16g