Mozzarella cheese is surprisngly easy and delicious to make at home if you have the necessary ingredients and use un-homogenized milk. This recipe makes 4 good sized balls of fresh cheese. Cheese making supplies can often be bought at any good cheese store or there are many online sources. If you prefer a firmer textured cheese, you can increase the amount of rennet used.
Deborah Mele 2011
Homemade Mozzarella Cheese
A step by step guide to making your own mozzarella at home.
- 1 Gallon Of Un-homogenized Milk
- 1/2 Cup Cool Water
- 3 Teaspoons Citric Acid
- 3/4 Teaspoon Liquid Rennet
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt (Optional)
- Put the milk in a heavy, stainless steel pot.
- Dissolve the citric acid in the water, and add this to the milk.
- Heat the milk to 88 degrees, and at this temperature, you should see your milk begin to curdle.
- Add your rennet solution and stir slowly to mix.
- Continue to stir slowly every couple of minutes, and continue heating on medium low heat until the milk mixture reaches 105 degrees F.
- Turn off the heat, and let your mixture rest for 15 minutes.
- As the mixture sits, the curds will firm up and completely separate from the whey.
- Once you have reached this point, use a slotted spoon and scoop out all of the curds into a cheese cloth lined microwave safe bowl.
- Bring this bowl to the sink, and carefully bring the edges of the cheesecloth together, and squeeze to remove as much liquid as you can, discarding it.
- Microwave the curds on high for 1 minute, and then drain off any additional whey that has separated.
- Push down on the curds with your hands or a spoon to develop the texture.
- As soon as you can handle it, begin to knead it with your hands as you would bread. If using salt, add it to the cheese at this point.
- Continue to microwave the curds twice more for 30 seconds each time, kneading the cheese in between.
- If you find the cheese too hot to handle, you can use rubber gloves.
- Continue to work the cheese until it is smooth and shiny.
- When the cheese is ready, it will stretch like taffy when hot.
- Shape your cheese into 4 equal sized balls, and drop these into a bowl of ice water to set.
- As soon as your cheese has cooled, it is ready to eat.
- This cheese freezes well and will keep in the refrigerator for 4 days in an airtight container.