A simple recipe for making an herbed olive oil dip for Italian bread. Serve in a shallow bowl, and let your guests help themselves. Apparently many Italian restaurants in North America and abroad are now serving a flavored olive oil sauce to dip bread into as an appetizer. I have received a number of recipe requests for a flavored olive oil, so I am including the following recipe. You can easily vary the recipe to suit your taste, by changing the herbs. Do not keep this mixture for longer than 2 or 3 days in the refrigerator, as fresh garlic has caused problems, making the mixture unsafe.
Deborah Mele 2011
Olive Oil Dip
A seasoned oil for dipping bread or veggie sticks.
- 1 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar (Optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Each of Chopped Fresh Basil & Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Dried Oregano
- 1 to 2 Minced Fresh Garlic Cloves (Depending On Your Preference)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Coarse Black Pepper
- Dash of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Sun-dried Tomatoes, Finely Chopped (Optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together and let sit to allow the flavors to meld for at least an hour or two before serving.
- Serve in a shallow bowl with crusty Italian bread cut into thick slices.