With the holidays quickly approaching, I’m busy getting some special treats completed ahead of time so that when my family all arrive I can spend time with them and not be stuck in the kitchen preparing meals. When my family all gather at our house, they all enjoy spending time playing in the pool, watching holiday movies, and playing board games together. With a house full of people in my house for Christmas, there are always hungry folks looking for snacks throughout the day, so I try and have a number of savory, easy to assemble snacks on hand. This spicy pepper jelly is a great spread for crunchy seeded crackers as shown in the photos, and the jars are great holiday gifts for neighbors, friends, or even that special teacher. This jelly is very easy to make, and you will end up with 3 pint or 6 half pint jars. My favorite way to enjoy this jelly is to first spread some whipped cream cheese on the cracker, and then top it with some of the jelly.
You can either use green sweet peppers along with jalapenos which makes a bright green jelly, or I used a mix of red and yellow peppers with red chili peppers which makes a bright orange colored jelly. A drop or two of food color really brings the color of the jelly to life.
Deborah Mele 2011
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Sweet Pepper (Either Green or Red)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Hot Chili Pepper (Jalapeno or Serrano Work Great)
- 1 1/2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 Cups Sugar
- 4 Ounces Powered Pectin
- Appropriate Food Color
- Place the hot and sweet peppers in a food processor, and pulse until minced.
- In a heavy saucepan, mix together the peppers, vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then whisk in the pectin and a few drops of food coloring if using.
- Pour the jelly into hot sterilized jars and store in a cool, dark place.