When we are traveling in Italy, anytime we get close to the sea, we always head for a good local restaurant to enjoy seafood. One dish we order often and thoroughly enjoy is Pasta Pescatore, which is simply pasta topped with a mixed seafood tomato sauce. The seafood within the sauce may change depending on what is fresh that day, but generally there are at least 4 or 5 different types of seafood within the sauce. I recently visited the seafood counter at Whole Foods and asked for a good sampling of their freshest seafood so I could make this dish at home. I like to top my Pasta Pescatore with a sprinkling of gremolata, which is just a mixture of fresh garlic, parsley, and lemon peel, all minced together. I find this adds a nice zest to the dish and really brings the flavors to life. I generally serve this sauce on spaghetti, but you could use any long pasta that you prefer.
Deborah Mele 2011
A mixed seafood pasta in a spicy tomato sauce.
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Minced Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Minced
- 12 Cleaned Clams
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 1/2 Cups Seafood Stock
- 3 Cups Pureed or Chopped Tomatoes
- 12 Sea Scallops
- 20 Cleaned Mussels
- 12 Large Shrimp, Cleaned
- 1/2 Pound Fresh Squid, Cleaned & Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Pound Spaghetti Or Pasta Of Choice
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Parsley
- Zest of One Lemon
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and then cook the onions until they are soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook another couple of minutes.
- Add the wine and fish stock and bring to a boil, then add the clams and cook until they open.
- Add the tomato sauce, parsley, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and add the remaining seafood, and cook over low heat while the pasta cooks.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until it is “al dente“.
- Mince the gremolata ingredients together and set aside.
- Drain the pasta, top with a scoop of the tomato sauce and toss well.
- Serve in four individual bowls, topped with more sauce, and dividing the seafood up evenly between the four dishes.
- Sprinkle some gremolata on each dish and serve immediately.